Ads 468x60px

Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Carolina Shrimp-n-Grits!

     Shrimp and Grits is a super easy yet super...er yummy meal. This is a southern classic and everyone has their own style. To be honest this isn't the way I usually make this, but I found a recipe from a favorite chef of mine (Chef John of FoodWishes.com) I am not certain if this is the exact way he did it, but I have to give him credit for this one.
     I you are wondering what I have made in the past it is a play on my Savannah Shrimp Etouffee, with jalapeno cheddar cheese grits. I will demo that soon enough.

Supposed to be for 4 light portions, but you will only want to make it for 2 ;)

Grits:
1 cup quick grits (sorry to my Southerns, but I am a busy girl)
4 cups of water
1tbs butter
salt to taste

     Bring water and butter to a boil. Toss in grits, boil again, then turn to the lowest setting. Cover your grits, but stir a decent amount. Grits are very notorious for sticking to the pot. I like to have mine cooked to the "5 minute" mark before starting everything else. I believe the grits should be "firmer". You will see what I mean.

Shrimp and "Gravy":
1 pound fresh shrimp
3 strips of bacon sliced
1 bunch of green onion thinly sliced (just the whites)
1 jalapeno finely diced
2 cloves garlic finely diced
1/3 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
Splash of light cream (probably 3-4 tbs)
1 tbs worcestershire
1 squeeze of lemon juice (1tsp)
Old Bay and white pepper

     There is one very important step in this recipe; Have everything prepped in advance. Google "Mise en place". This will go quick so be ready. Render the fat from the bacon in a saute pan on med-low heat. When the bacon is almost crispy remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. You want about a tbs of fat in your pan but whatever came from the bacon is fine. Turn your heat to med to med-high. Toss in your shrimp, preseasoned with Old Bay and white pepper, cook for about a minute. Throw in your veggies and cook about 2 minutes. Pour in your wine, cream, and worcestershire then cook down for about 2-3 minutes. The rest is easy. Spoon 2 ladles of grits in a bowl then pour in shrimp to your heart's content!     



















0 comments:

Post a Comment